Applying is a process. But, we make it fair. Show us who you are and unleash your challenger personality. If you could be a successful Dentons lawyer, we want to know all about it.
Take the time to familiarise yourself with our application deadlines – this will help you to plan your application and make the most of the opportunity. We recruit on a rolling basis, so be sure to complete your application as soon as you can.
Applications for our 2023 schemes open 14th October 2022 and close 3rd January 2023.
Training Contracts 2025
Applications for our 2025 Training Contract open on 1st December 2022 and close 15th July 2023
Applications are open to everyone. If you have any questions or need us to make adjustments, please get in touch with our team: firstname.lastname@example.org
A typical trainee at Dentons doesn’t exist. We don’t want it to. Our application process allows you to show us who you really are, beyond grades, qualifications and experience. We’ll be looking for global outlook, commercial awareness, enthusiasm, collaboration, drive, innovation and problem solving throughout the process.
The application process is the same for both Training Contracts and Vacation Schemes.
Application Form > Online Assessment > Video Interview > Assessment Centre
Lets get into the details:
1. Application Form add
Your route into Dentons starts with an online form. But, you’re much more than that. This is a chance for you to tell us about your education, work experience and extra-curricular activities. It’s the time to impress us. We will also ask you some long answer questions, to find out about your motivations, drive and attributes that you could bring.
- Pay attention to the word count: it is there for a reason. If we give you 250 words, that’s how many words we believe you need to give us a detailed answer.
- Attention to detail: ask someone to proof read your application. When you’ve spent so much time on something, it can be easy to miss mistakes.
- Research: Do your research on Dentons and be specific. We want to hear what you think makes Dentons unique and why it’s where you want to be.
- Stand out: You’ve covered what makes Dentons unique, but we also want to know about you. What makes you different from the crowd?
2. Legal High Potential Assessment add
If you meet our initial criteria in the application form, next up is our Legal High Potential Assessment.
To ensure we get a well-rounded view of all our applicants, our Legal High Potential Assessment consists of scenario-based, numerical and verbal questions, and a short video interview.
To take us from largest to leading, we’re looking for our trainees to think big and see the future of law in a new way. The assessment has been designed to look for trainees who are excited to embrace the future of law and apply their intellect and creativity to a variety of work-related situations. The questions will not require any prior knowledge or experience.
Whilst the assessment is untimed, it typically takes approximately 45 minutes to complete.
- Practice! A practice test, which will be a condensed version of the main assessment, will be provided to ensure you can familiarise yourself with the assessment and let us know if any adjustments are needed.
- Keep an eye on the deadline. You will normally have a few days to complete the test. Mark this in your diary and plan this time in.
- Find a quiet space with good internet connection where you won’t be interrupted.
- Have a calculator, pen and paper to hand before you begin.
- Complete the assessment in one sitting.
3. Video Interview add
We want to get to know you. The video interview will look at your past experiences and the skills you have developed, along with your key drivers and strengths. Over to you, with a bit of help from us.
- Use the preparation time: try to think of the best example for each question, rather than rushing in with the first one that comes to mind.
- Be specific about your input: We want to hear what your personal contributions and actions have been, so avoid saying ‘we’ and say ‘I’ instead.
- Use a range of examples: Successful candidates pull complex examples from a range of experiences.
- Research: spend some time before the interview researching the firm and our opportunities. If you have been to one of our open days or had some interaction with Dentons, then please mention it!
Below we have further video interview resources to help you prepare…
Interview Preparation and Advice
Interview Practice Questions
4. Assessment Centre add
The final stage of our Training Contract application process is an assessment centre. Our assessment centres are made up of two exercises, a Written Exercise & Role Play and a Case Study & Final Interview.
- Read any instructions carefully: don’t rush into tasks without thoroughly reading instructions and asking any questions you have.
- Plan your time: If you have an hour to complete a task, make a plan for how you want to use the time, for example, leaving 5 minutes at the end for proof reading.
- Slow down: If you’re not sure about a question, don’t be nervous about asking for clarification, or taking a moment to think about your answer.
- Think about your audience.