ONE OF US.
Ready to apply? Great. Our process is all about you showing us who you are, and why you could be a successful Dentons lawyer, a true challenger.
A typical trainee at Dentons doesn’t exist. We don’t want it to. Our goal is to delve beyond your grades, qualifications and experience. We’ll be looking for global outlook, commercial awareness, enthusiasm, collaboration, drive, innovation and problem solving throughout the process.
The application process is the same for both Training Contracts and Vacation Schemes.
Application Form > Online Assessment > Video Interview > Assessment Centre
Let’s get into the details:
Application Form add
When you begin your path to Dentons, it all starts with an online form. But this is more than just a form – it’s your chance to share your education, work history, and the activities that define you.
Here’s why it’s important:
We’re not just looking for the basics; we’re excited to learn about what makes you unique. Your experiences and your journey are what set you apart.
Alongside the standard questions, we’ll ask some open-ended ones. We want to understand what drives you and the qualities that make you stand out. Your story is important to us.
While we embrace technology and AI at Dentons, we encourage you to be yourself. These tools are here to help, not replace who you are.
Every applicant is unique, and that’s something we truly value. Let your true self shine in your application. That’s what makes you stand out in our eyes.
- Pay attention to the word count. If we ask for 250 words, stick to it. Succinct, detailed responses demonstrate your ability to convey ideas effectively. Our request for specific word counts is meant to gauge your communication skills.
- After investing significant effort in your application, it’s easy to miss errors, so please ask a friend or relative to ensure your form ready to submit. It’s crucial because our process emphasises the importance of detail.
- Prioritise your understanding of the Firm. Be specific about what makes us unique and why you want to be a part of our team. Your ability to grasp and articulate these elements is vital, as technology plays a supplementary role and doesn’t replace your insights.
- While highlighting Dentons distinct qualities is important, remember to spotlight yourself. What sets you apart from other candidates? Share your distinctive experiences, skills, and ambitions that make you stand out. We value your individuality.
- Your Dentons application is a chance to demonstrate your ability to meet specific requirements, attention to detail, and your fit within our team. We want to understand you, and being authentic throughout your application is what truly matters.
Online Assessment add
If you meet our initial criteria in the application form, next up is our Legal High Potential Assessment.
To ensure we get a well-rounded view of all our applicants, our Legal High Potential Assessment consists of scenario-based, numerical and verbal questions, and a short video interview.
To take us from largest to leading, we’re looking for our trainees to think big and see the future of law in a new way. The assessment has been designed to look for trainees who are excited to embrace the future of law and apply their intellect and creativity to a variety of work-related situations. The questions will not require any prior knowledge or experience.
Whilst the assessment is untimed, it typically takes approximately 45 minutes to complete.
- Practice! A practice test, which will be a condensed version of the main assessment, will be provided to ensure you can familiarise yourself with the assessment and let us know if any adjustments are needed.
- Keep an eye on the deadline. You will normally have a few days to complete the test. Mark this in your diary and plan this time in.
- Find a quiet space with good internet connection where you won’t be interrupted.
- Have a calculator, pen and paper to hand before you begin.
- Complete the assessment in one sitting.
Video Interview add
We want to get to know you. The video interview will look at your past experiences and the skills you have developed, along with your key drivers and strengths. Over to you, with a bit of help from us.
- Use the preparation time: try to think of the best example for each question, rather than rushing in with the first one that comes to mind.
- Be specific about your input: We want to hear what your personal contributions and actions have been, so avoid saying ‘we’ and say ‘I’ instead.
- Use a range of examples: Successful candidates pull complex examples from a range of experiences.
- Research: spend some time before the interview researching the firm and our opportunities. If you have been to one of our open days or had some interaction with Dentons, then please mention it!
Below we have further video interview resources to help you prepare…
Interview Preparation and Advice
Interview Practice Questions
Assessment Centre add
The final stage of our Training Contract application process is an assessment centre. Our assessment centres are made up of two exercises, a written exercise & role play and a case study & final interview.
- Read any instructions carefully: don’t rush into tasks without thoroughly reading instructions and asking any questions you have.
- Plan your time: If you have an hour to complete a task, make a plan for how you want to use the time, for example, leaving 5 minutes at the end for proof reading.
- Slow down: If you’re not sure about a question, don’t be nervous about asking for clarification, or taking a moment to think about your answer.
- Think about your audience.